banner

Saturday, September 30, 2006

worst movie ever

On Thursday night we celebrated Hubby's new job. We went to see The Black Dahlia.

I decided that it was the WORST movie EVER.

Why was it so bad? Jerky writing, gratuitous, nasty sex (not even good sex, it was just bad....), couldn't follow the storyline nor understand what the actors were saying, it tried to be ambitious but failed. There were so many loose threads and threads that wound around side stories I lost track, it gave me a headache. It was based on a book, so Hubby thinks they tried to pack in too much from the book without making it concise. I needed a shower after I saw that movie, made me feel dirty it was so badly done.

It's so frustrating! "R" rated movies seem like "NC-17" to me. I am sorry, maybe I'm a prude (no, I am a prude), but I really don't want those images burned into my head, especially if they're badly done. I am all about artistic freedom, but jeez, it really burns me when people throw in sex in a movie just cause, where it really has no bearing on the plot, and it's just for shock value. I really need to read up on a movie before I see it, because, man, that was a waste of my time.

This is what Scott Huver says from Hollywood.com : The result is more of a parody--indeed, an unflattering caricature--than a modern commentary on a classic noir style. Add in his ceaseless, camera-swooping swipes from Hitchcock and his ongoing fixation with meaningless gore--ham-fisted homages and hemorraging hemoglobin, to ape Ellroy's alliterative gossip-rag riffs--that distract from the intensity of the source material, and all that remains is a bloody shame.
Yea, it's bad. I wouldn't have even given it half of a star. So, save yourself, see something else. Anything else.

2 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Dones said...

Agreed. See anything else. But there will still be at least 3 (well-deserved) Oscar nominations to come from this movie, and perhaps a win or two.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I'm surprised considering the famous actors in it and the fascinating material they had to work with. I'll wait until it comes out on cable now. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home